Step by step guide to Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 with RedSn0w 0.9.7b6
The Dev team has released RedSn0w beta 6 which fixes a couple of old issues such as Bluetooth functionality and now Skype. What is most important to the users is the fact that this jailbreak is actually untethered. Unfortunately in order for us to have an untethered jailbreak your iDevice must have 4.2B3 SHSH files on file with Cydia. Keep in mind this is only for Mac users. I had a friend test this out on a virtual machine running Leopard and it did not work so do not waste your time trying that method. This version of RedSn0w is limited to iPhone 4, iPad, and iPod touch 4G. If you need an unlock then I suggest you stay away from this version of Redsn0w and wait for The PwnageTool to be updated.
The files you need are :
- Redsn0w 0.9.7b6 http://goo.gl/rgFIY
- iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch 4.2.1 IPSW from here http://goo.gl/r3FQ
- iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch 4.2b3 IPSW from here http://imzdl.com/
Only those enrolled in the iPhone Developer Program have legitimate access to that 4.2b3 IPSW.
Please don’t pirate Apple software.
Place all the items you have downloaded on your desktop.
1) Run Redsn0w and click browse
2) On the left pane click desktop and select the 4.2.1 IPSW from the right pane and click next.
4) Now if you had your 4.2 b3 SHSH files on file with cydia, check Jailbreak Monte (untether) and select the 4.2 b3 IPSW when the window opens. If you dont have 4.2 b3 SHSH saved then just click next and your device will jailbreak but will be tethered.
5) [Read the directions that Redsn0w gives you] - Power off your device and make sure it is plugged in to your computer.
Follow the onscreen instructions
Once this step is completed the jailbreak process will start and may take a while. Be patient and just wait. You will see files install on your iDevice. Once it is finished Redsn0w will say “Done”. Your iDevice will then boot up after a few minutes and be fully jailbroken! Untethered!
Enjoy the jailbreak! :)
If you are having trouble, or have any questions, just leave a comment below and the LTT team can help you out.
You can also follow me on twitter for more updates @bhfboss and of course follow @luketechtips :)