iOS 4.2.1 Update Issues
What would a firmware update be without some bugs? Thankfully we're here for you. Yesterday, upon updating my iPhone 4 I came across a problem. It was almost done updating then...my iPhone crashed and iTunes said it couldn't be updated. It sent me into a frustrating spiral of me attempting restores and getting the same error code "1013" whenever it was almost done restoring it. I searched through some forums, even countless posts about it on the Apple Support community. I finally found two solutions. NOTE: I'VE ONLY TRIED THE FIRST ONE!
The solution that worked for me was restoring it on another computer (Be sure to save your back-up on another computer before updating, just in-case). The other solution that I found on Apple's website was not tested by me but countless people have confirmed it works. Check it out after the jump.
* Open Finder
* Hold down COMMAND + SHIFT keys and press 'G'
* Enter "/private/etc/" in the field and press "Go"
* Find "hosts" file in the directory
* Drag the file to your desktop
* Open it in text editor
* Remove the line that has gs.apple.com entirely or put a # at the beginning of it to comment it out
* Save the file
* Drag it back to the /private/etc/ folder.
* You'd need to enter your username and password to authenticate the move
Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
- Locate the hosts file in one of the following directories:
Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows XP, Vista, 7 c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
- Right click and click on "Open With..." and then click on "Notepad" on the list.
- * Remove the line that has gs.apple.com completely and save the file.
This should work fine but you will lose all music, photos, videos and books :S